2016 News Releases
August 10, 2016
Cell (646) 823-5934
DC 37 announces endorsements in key NYC races
Primary Election to be held September 13
District Council 37 announced today its endorsement of candidates in five key state legislative races in the New York Primary Election on Tuesday, September 13.
- Sen. Roxanne Persuad (D-19th District, Brooklyn): Born in Guyana, she was a higher education administrator prior to serving in the State Senate. Sen. Persuad was President of the 69th Precinct Community Council in Canarsie, a member of Community Board 18 and Commissioner on the New York City Districting Commission.
- State Sen. Toby Ann Stavisky (D-16th District, Queens): A fighter for social justice, she is the Assistant Democratic Leader and Ranking Minority Member on the Senate's Committee on Higher Education, working to improve public schools and programs for older adults.
- State Senator Gustavo Rivera (D-33rd District, Bronx): A native of Puerto Rico who arrived in NYC after graduating college, he was a community organizer prior to his election to the State Senate.
- Assemblymember Latrice Walker (D-55th District, Brooklyn): Prior to her election to the NYS Assembly, she served as Counsel to Rep. Yvette D. Clarke, helping to plan and implement a congressional agenda for her community.
- Assemblymember Victor Pichardo (D-86th District, Bronx): Prior to his election to the State Assembly, Pichardo served as Senator Charles Schumer’s Community Outreach Coordinator/Latino Liaison and as State Sen. Gustavo Rivera’s Director of Community Affairs before he was elected to the State Assembly. He considers public education funding one of his top priorities.
“These candidates have solid records of accomplishment that demonstrate their dedication to their communities,” said DC 37 Executive Director Henry Garrido. “They share our union’s values of economic justice, and they believe that government can and should be a force to improve the lives of all New Yorkers. DC 37 volunteers will be on the phones and on the streets from now until Primary Day to ensure victory for these candidates.”
District Council 37 is New York City's largest public employee union, with 121,000 members and 50,000 retirees.
*Download Acrobat Reader to view and print PDF files.